Jewely is an investment and can last forever if you take the proper care of it. Here are a few tips on how to care for your Artisan Jewelry. I've added a few convenient links for some of the products I discuss.
- Put your jewelry on last when getting dressed. This avoids over spray of makeup, lotions, hair products and perfume. All of which can cause dulling, pitting and degradation of gemstones.
- Do wipe your jewelry with a soft cotton micro-fiber cloth after wearing. This removes the oils, dust and dirt from daily wear.
- Do not wear your jewelry while working with harsh chemicals or cleaning solutions. They will have the same affects as makeups and perfumes. If this should happen, rinse your jewelry in warm water as soon as possible and let air dry before storing.
- Do store your jewelry in airtight containers. Metals will oxidize naturally over time. Storing them in airtight containers, will extend the natural process. You can also place a piece of chalk or an anti-tarnish square inside your container. This will help with moisture and oxidation control.
- Do store your jewelry pieces individually to prevent them from rubbing against each other. This could cause scratches and chips in the metal and gemstones. Store them in separate compartments in your jewelry box or in small zipper top plastic bags.
- If your jewelry should tarnish, do not use chemical jewelry cleaners. Some gemstones are softer than others and the chemicals can break down the stones composition.
- Use only a jewelry polishing cloth for cleaning. (for dirt and dust in crevasses, you may use a dry, soft bristle toddler toothbrush to loosen the dirt.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry during rough activities, this will avoid cracks, scratches and breakage.
Artisan Jewelry is wearable art and an expression of yourself...............So take care of both of you!